Monday, November 21, 2011

Daily THOUGHT #75 "Jazz Life"

"Look in the mirror and read your own book, I'm sure there is something in there that will Jazz up the world..."

Hello there my people! How are you this marvelous Monday? I am doing quite well...I just finished my exit counseling with AAMU financial aid so I am one step closer to graduation. As quickly as it is approaching, it still seems so far away. I can't believe after all these years that it will officially be over, my undergraduate tenure on "The Hill". I am very thankful for this experience, be warned...the closer I get to December 9, 2011..the more you will read me cheer on about my Dear Ole Normal!

I want to get a little deep with you all today. I don't plan on being as dynamically expressive as I normally am, but I do plan to make you think and gain my perspective of a subject matter..."Jazz Life". It's amazing how things line up as we live, I always say. This weekend Plan3t 3 provided the entertainment for the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Centennial Celebration Gala held in Huntsville, AL. Mr. Wesley, the former Director of Bands (longest serving) at Alabama A&M University was in attendance and that was special to us, because each member of Plan3t 3 has studied under Mr. Wesley. For him to be there, give us pointers and dance, that showed that not only did he enjoy the performance but he was actually paying attention. He started the AAMU Stage Band (Jazz) in 1975.

Jazz is a musical style that originated in African-American communities in the Southern United States. It was derived from African and European music traditions. Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, jazz has since grown from ragtime, bebop, big band and swing into contemporary, fusion, acid, funk and hip-hop. Simply understood, jazz is a style of music that has very intimate chord structure and melodic lines, concluded by the most poetic music expressions known to man through the art of improvisation. Can't you just imagine life working similar to the set up of jazz? I know I can. I believe that things in the world would be in route for greater advancement.

No matter what you do in life, where you go, where you are from, what you plan or what ends up happening...there is a foundation to all that we do. From this foundation, we are able to establish contributors that aid our efforts, from these contributors we are able to find counters that allow us to additionalize (made that up) or re-evaluate...and from the results of further studies, one is able to create a solitude expression of an idea. "Individual expression is the act that leads to human prosperity or tranquility."

In jazz, there is a term used called: standard. Any tune that is a standard is something that has great credibility and has more than likely been played by several different ensembles with many different variations. You can compare to how there a various routes to get to the same location. So whatever is that you do, be that variation that is noticed and leads others to inspire to be noticed. When you are noticed for the efforts of making things better, good things will come your way. When they do, be ready and train others that they may be ready as well.

Isn't it amazing how certain songs just make you move no matter what may be going on. You should think the same way about your life. The fact that you are here and able to do things and see others should mean something dearly to you. Jazz is a form of expression that allows the artist to tell his feelings without words. Release your energies into the world and watch the great dreams you have become reality. Just believe. I like to believe that there is no piece of music that is too difficult to play without the proper preparation. With true focus your life can be a work of art. Make it that way. Enjoy your week, I pray you many blessings. Peace...

-rjhii

No comments:

Post a Comment